Quick Tips For Pullups

• Find a grip that is comfortable for you, you can do palms facing out, palms facing in, hands close together, or far apart, find what works best for you.
  • Tilt your head back so that your chin extends into the air, since only your chin must pass the bar for the rep to be counted you can reduce the distance your need to travel by doing this
  • Drop down quickly into the dead hang position, the longer it takes to go return to the bottom, the more energy your wasting.  Also minimize the amount of time you spend hanging, as this burns energy as well.
  • Don’t forget to breathe; breathe in on your way down, and then push out the air on your way up, as with any exercise proper breathing will help you a lot.
  • Try switching grips; you are allowed to change your grip on the bar as long as you don’t touch the ground, so if you find you cant do any more, give it a try, its a good way to add on 1 or 2 pullups right way.
  • The picture below gives you a good idea of what your hand should look like on the bar, the position of the thumb does make a notable difference so if your doing it like the “not recommended” give the other way  a try and see if it works better for you, if it doesn’t, do whats more comfortable for you.

6 responses

1. ====================================================

—————————–Road to 20 pull ups————————————————

Stuck between 4-10 pull ups? Use these programs to help you improve on your pull ups.

(I am not the creator of these work outs )

Major Charles Lewis Armstrong

Program name: Armstrong program

Program name: Recon Ron program

about an hour ago

July 4, 2011 at 01:06

2. Irrelevant to pull-ups, but wasn’t sure where to post.

For starters, if you’re a fatbody, I feel for ya. I know it sucks. However, I was fat from the time I was 6 months old, to 18 years old. I’ve gone from being 5’3″ 226lbs (female), to 160 lbs. That being said, excuses are just bull. You’re either lazy, eat like crap, or just an unpleasant mixture of the two. Top 3 pieces of advice. 1. HYDRATE. You will feel like complete and utter hell all the time, if you don’t hydrate properly. You won’t want to PT, you won’t feel good enough to, and it’ll hinder your weight loss without the proper water intake to flush out the nasty garbage in your system. 2. Quit taking ‘no’ for an answer. Weight loss is much more than working out and eating right. You need to make your plan of action and get it done, no excuses, no complaints, get it done and like it. 3. No sugar! Knock off your soda, fast food, candy, all the nasty stuff right now. You don’t need it, you never did. Get committed. I have a lot more advice and whatnot at , I post pretty frequently, and you can ask me any question under the sun, I’ll answer to the best of my ability. I post pictures all the time too, so check out how fat I was and how fat I’m not now, get yourself moto-vated. Think or say you can’t do it, I’ll call you a liar…and be correct.
    Stay moto, God bless.
    -A Jarrah

August 2, 2011 at 22:15

• Noe Carrillo

harsh but true ive been trying to get healthy but all i gauned was muscle and i still catn even do five pull ups

October 13, 2011 at 23:09

3. C Eckhaus

The recruiters at my RSS also told us this helpful tip. Do NOT lower yourselves down slowly. Just get a good grip on that bar, pull up, and drop down into the hanging position.

It helps conserve the energy you’d normally use trying to lower yourself down. Once I started doing this I found myself being able to squeeze out an extra pull up or two.

Hope it helps.

October 10, 2011 at 21:27

4. That grip switch is a heaven-send. At the moment, I can do about 7 pulls depending on whichever grip I’m in, but when I pair them together I can hit 13-15 before the muscle shocks start to kick.

February 3, 2012 at 22:04

5. Brandon Owens

Everyone says to just do pullups everyday but that’s exactly what you DON’T want to do. When you workout you actually are tearing the muscle fibers in your arms and when they tear they grow back stronger, thus your muscles gut stronger and bigger. If you’re working out you’re arms everyday you’ll be working out like crazy without very much results. What you should do is workout your arms every other day to give your fibers time to heal. On the days you are working out your arms you need to workout HARD because keep in mind, you won’t be doing that the next day. I’d recommend taking protein after your workouts because it makes those fibers heal stronger and faster. On the days you’re not working out your arms obviously you should focus on running and abs. However, your legs and abs are something that can be worked out everday but you should focus heavily on them on your non upper body days. I’ve been doing sports my whole life and was really good in highschool and now I’m one of the top recruits in my pool and that plan is what I’ve been following. Hope my advice helps. Oorraahh!

August 11, 2012 at 19:13

Sound off with your comments!! Don't be shy!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 33 other followers